ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF RENEWABLE ENERGY
Climate change and sustainability have become hot topics. Over the past few years, there has been a major push toward renewable energy. In this post, we’d like to explore the advantages and disadvantages of renewable energy.
RENEWABLE ENERGY ADVANTAGES
- These energies never run out. Renewable energy technologies use resources straight from the environment to make power. So, this makes them sustainable and ever-lasting natural resources.
- Saves maintenance and operating costs. Renewable energy facilities generally need less work to keep them running than traditional generators,
like fuel-powered engines. When you’re using a technology that generates power from the sun, wind, steam, or natural processes,
there is no need to refuel.
- They don’t damage our planet. Renewable energy produces little or no waste products, and doesn’t add to global warming. This means an overall positive impact on the natural environment.
- More money for many country areas. Most renewable energy projects are located in the country – far away from the big
cities. (See our post on Solar for Farming). Therefore, some poor country areas can earn money by making power.
DISADVANTAGES OF RENEWABLE ENERGY
Renewable energy has many benefits. However, have you ever wondered what can be disadvantages of using renewable resources? Here are some disadvantages to using renewables over traditional fossil fuel energy sources.
- They don’t make enough energy. It’s difficult to make the amount of energy as traditional forms of energy generation like fossil fuels. Therefore, we need to reduce the amount of energy we use. Otherwise, we will need to build more energy plants. Overall, this also shows that the best way to solve our energy problems may be to use many different power sources.
- Bad weather can hurt the energy supply. For example, some days may be windier than others. Also, the sun doesn’t shine at night. Finally, droughts may occur for periods of time. There can be harsh weather events that disrupt these technologies. When these resources are unavailable then there is no way to make energy.
- Needs a huge amount of money to start. The current cost of renewable energy technology is also far more than is needed for traditional fossil fuel power. However, it is important to know that new technology is making renewable energy cheaper. It’s just not there quite yet.
Other Recent Posts:
What Is Habitat Conservation
WHAT IS HABITAT CONSERVATION? Habitat conservation means protecting the places where things on earth live. A habitat is a place where a certain animal, plant, or other living thing lives. These places are [...]
What Is Sick Building Syndrome?
WHAT IS SICK BUILDING SYNDROME? Sick building syndrome is a term that describes a wide range of undefined symptoms that people have when they live in a building. It is mostly because of [...]
What Is Hydrology?
WHAT IS HYDROLOGY? Hydrology is the study of water from a scientific standpoint. It includes the study of water's occurrence, properties, circulation, and distribution on, beneath, and above the earth's surface. Hydrologists are [...]
What Is Ocean Acidification?
WHAT IS OCEAN ACIDIFICATION? Ocean acidification is the process by which the ocean absorbs carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, thus decreasing the ocean’s pH. The ocean absorbs up to one-third of the carbon [...]
What Is the Wildlife Trade?
WHAT IS THE WILDLIFE TRADE? It is called the "wildlife trade" when people trade and sell living or dead wild animals and plants. This practice has a direct effect on biodiversity and also [...]
Why Are Coral Reefs Important?
Why Are Coral Reefs Important? At first look, you may think you’re looking at a lump of colorful rocks. But, these are not rocks. These eye-catching figures are coral reefs! Found in oceans [...]
Ocean Dead Zones
Ocean Dead Zones The ocean is an important part of our ecosystem. It produces most of the oxygen we breathe. It’s also very important for our economy, providing food for many people around [...]
Walking for Fitness
Walking is an excellent way to stay fit and healthy. In fact, walking has been proven to be one of the best ways to lose weight because it burns calories. It also helps [...]
What’s Avian Flu?
What is Avian Flu? Avian flu, also known as avian influenza or bird flu, is a viral disease that primarily affects birds. The virus can be transmitted between different species of birds, but [...]
What is Carbon Absorption
What is Carbon Absorption? Carbon absorption, or carbon sequestration, is the capture and storage of carbon dioxide (CO2) from the atmosphere. This process occurs naturally through photosynthesis in plants and algae, which absorb [...]
Have a Topic Suggestion ? We are Open to New Ideas!